Box of Roses
Thursday, February 15, 2007 | posted by Kate | permalink | |

I am thrilled with R

He did something I've always wanted: one of those secret things that I've always wanted...the long-stemmed red roses that come in a box. Mine were the first flowers to arrive of the day at my work, and they came in a bright red box with a white bow, resting in pink tissue paper, six up and six down with some sprigs of baby's breath!

The card, in his delicious male cursive, read:
I hate the holiday, but I do love you. xoxo, R.


I swear to God. That is so incredibly him. I was all teary and shaking when I got the box and when I opened the card. Yeah! I am impressed because I know he is not a bouquet of flowers kind of guy. I mean, he sent me some flowers for my birthday if you recall, but he doesn't bring flowers to our dates or anything.

On the way home from work I gave him a call to see what our dinner plan was (and to find out if I needed to bring something) and he said he had it covered. I could hear Frank Sinatra in the background.

I got to his place (after going to mine and sexfoliating, duhhhhh!), worked my way up his three flights of stairs, and his door was slightly askew. I walked in and his entire living/dining room was lit by little tea candles. He came barreling down his hallway (still in work clothes), kissed me and hurried back into the kitchen. Later he apologized for not giving me a long, lingering kiss when he saw me--something was burning on the stove. The food was great, the candlelight was romantic and it was really nice to be with him away from the hustle and bustle of a jam packed restaurant where all the couples are on display. It is amazing to be dating a man who knows how to cook! It is wonderful to be dating a man who knows how to be romantic. I am incredibly pleased with him and with what he was able to do for me despite his 12 hour a day work schedule.

I think this was the best valentine's yet because I:
1. Didn't hint at any of it (and got things I've always wanted!)
2. Didn't have to worry about a thing (everything was all taken care of!)
3. Am definitely in love with him.

I am starting to settle in a little
...and not pay attention so much to the rest of everything, or whether I have a back-up boyfriend (god forbid!), or whether I'm doing things "right" or "wrong" or whatever.

Since his little stress-out I have cut back the nights of the week that we see each other (to see if he is still reaching for me, even though he said he didn't want to take a step back) and have actually enjoyed how he calls me every night still to talk (to connect, subtly) and sends me text messages and stuff. What is weird is that the insertion of a little bit of space has actually brought us closer. Or perhaps it is the faith that even with some space in between, that R and I are still going to be close.

Last weekend, he actually apologized for his overall attitude (which I haven't perceived as incredibly negative, but whatever) because of his unhappiness with his work situation. I know that his self-identity and self-esteem are closely linked to his work experiences (which I don't think is uncommon for men, or women for that matter).

His work experience is sucking and taking up so much more time than he would like it to, and it is draining him. But we're supporting each other. Tonight, he sent me an angry text message (angry at work) about something that came up. I called him. I listened, making sure to reassure him that we could still have a blast this weekend, even if we had to modify plans. I wanted to give him something to look forward to getting through the workday for as well and will try to keep as positive of an attitude as possible tomorrow at work so I can be easygoing and sunshiny for him tomorrow night when he rolls in late. It is nice that I can cheer him up a little, even if I can't change his work suckiness...perhaps I can make some of the time he's NOT at work, worthwhile.
 




In my own little world of whatever. I'm just sayin'.

View my profile