Weekend Update (not w/Tina Fey)

A Ph.D in packing, please...
I headed over to R's directly after work Friday, which required some logistical planning in terms of what to pack and what to bring. But, being the total type-A organizer that I am, you all know I had everything. (Except a pair of underwear for Saturday. This posed a problem the next morning. I am a complete priss when it comes to undies. I will not put the same pair on twice.) So now there is a designated section in my gym bag for underwear. Inevitably you all know this will lead to the "Now WHERE did I put that green thong?" and a 15-minute search of my underwear drawer, laundry basket and hamper will ensue to locate said item. But I digress.

We met up with some friends at a bar/club on the southside to see a band, which I wasn't sure I was going to like.....but ended up really enjoying the music. (I also have really good balance-a-bucket-of-beers-on-my-hip skills, for those playing along at home. Must come from those waitressing days....)

Wedding Date, Part II
Saturday AM. A hungover (but surprisingly jovial!) R invited me to his cousin's wedding in a couple of weeks. (This is a family wedding. Woo.) I remember seeing the pretty parchment invitation on his desk and silently started to panic when the weeks went by and he didn't invite me. I played it cool in front of him and didn't ask questions like, "Are you going to that wedding? Do you need a date?" Instead I admitted this small (yet relevant) anxiety to a few of my (more) rational friends, who looked amused and offered me the following gem: "He probably hasn't decided if he's going yet. Or maybe he doesn't like that side of the family. Relax. He'll ask. Get a real problem, K."

Oh, you guys.

You were/are so right, and were confirming what I had only briefly thought in my own mind. (I am getting a little mature voice in there. Somewhere. Its quiet but it is there.) By this morning, I had actually forgotten about the wedding invite and the whole thing so was pleasantly surprised to be invited. Again, another victory in terms of managing my own irrational fears and being mature enough to not press them into our relationship. THANK YOU to all of you who stand by so patiently and hold my hand.

I'll have the apple turnover any day of the week!
Saturday PM. R calls me in the early evening to see what time I was thinking we'd do dinner and start our evening date. (He is getting so good at calling me--when he does the follow up with me it makes me feel like I am so important to him.) We agree on 7:30. Turns out he's been wanting to try this little steakhouse in his neighborhood. The food was amazing, the atmosphere homey, the drinks strong, and the waitstaff personable and really enjoyable.

I love that he likes to go to little-hole-in-the-wall places. The stately old architecture of the place made it a natural for the two of us to share how we've both dreamed of renovating an older home, keeping the old rustic woodwork, ceilings and structures and modernizing other parts of the home. (Besides--there is 0% chance that new construction might have a friendly ghost, right?)

We talked about all kinds of things, and he was gentlemanly and happy. Let's face it: the man loves to eat. And I love to be around him when he's enjoying things, when he's laughing, when he's content and talkative. He talks a million miles an hour when he's excited, starting sentences with, "Oh!" We had salads, steaks, potatoes, drinks, coffee and dessert all to the sounds of Sinatra, Gershwin and other famous crooners. Of course, I ended up with a to-go bag.

This afternoon when he called to see how my day was going (again, awesome with the calling) he informed me that "his cats" had eaten my leftover steak. Without even warming it up. I laughed and told him that I kind of expected that sort of thing to happen, and that the cats are lucky that I like them so much.

An outstanding weekend, all in all.
 




In my own little world of whatever. I'm just sayin'.

View my profile