Chicago Love Rules 101

Can our preppy Downtown girl find love with a hot, rough Southsider?

So I went on a date with a firefighter from the south side of Chi-town. He's a big Sox fan, and could definitely be found at Comiskey when the Sox are at home. He plays baseball and basketball when he's not at the station. When he opens his mouth, the accent just pours out--he's from a place where the street names are actually numbers and everyone in the neighborhood knows everyone else.

Traditionally, southsiders are blue-collar, and those of us in downtown are a big mix. Like, I don't find $950 unreasonable for a gorgeous studio with a city view. There is a part of me that wants to live more where the "regular" working people live, because that is who I grew up around. It is not so much that I feel like an "imposter" around the CPA's, attorneys, and corporate big-wigs in their perfectly starched suits ($19 for dry cleaning? Are you fucking kidding me??!) by day and their $300 jeans and Kenneth Cole blazers at night, it's that I know I just don't fit into that.

For whatever reason, it's a little sexy that this guy works so hard and is so manly. It is awesome when a man has a job he feels proud of, something he loves doing. It shows through him that he lives a purposeful life, that he isn't wasting his days at work.

We'll see about a second date, huh?
 




In my own little world of whatever. I'm just sayin'.

View my profile